St. Joseph Church
St. Joseph Church was built in 1843 for and by Irish immigrants, who had come to mine for gold along the Catawba River. It is the oldest Catholic church still standing in the state of North Carolina and is an official state and U.S. historical site. Today St. Joseph Church is used for special occasions such as the feasts of St. Patrick and St. Joseph in March, and tours are available upon request through Queen of the Apostles Church in Belmont.
The Sons of Erin division of the AOH along with the St. Brendan division and the Ladies AOH from the Charlotte area arrange an annual Mass at St. Joseph to pay tribute to the historic church's first pastor, Father T.J. Cronin, who was Irish born and is buried in the adjacent church cemetery.
The church is located at N.C. 273 and Sandy Ford Road in Mount Holly, NC.